Good leaders can bring your business to the next level. Finding the right leaders is very important for your company's growth.
Unfortunately, qualified leaders are difficult to identify. Employees without leadership skills if placed in a leadership position can cost companies not just time and money, but serious damage to the external growth of the company and internally with the team.
What is good leadership skills?
Employees with good leadership skills can lead others to achieve objectives in the most effective way, provide an inclusive workplace that cultivates workplace relationships and teamwork, and foster the development of others.
– Skills Framework by SkillsFuture Singapore
You can view the full list of skills and its descriptions here.
The right leaders can be motivating and empowering. They can also establish the right direction for the company and inspire others to listen and follow them.
How do I shortlist candidates with good leadership skills?
Here are 5 examples of scale-rating questions hiring managers can ask :
- I would speak up in protest if and when someone says something which is not true and mean. (Integrity. To be Righteous and to speak up for your team when they are wronged.)
- As the manager, if I notice my team making mistakes, I will report the case to the top management so that action can be taken to solve this problem.
(Lack of Empathy and accountability. Good leaders understand first-time mistakes are good learning opportunities and he is accountable for his team.)
- I prefer to not speak up about my opinion and take on a supporting role of others’ idea. (Lack of Courage)
- When assigning tasks, I consider people's skills first before their interests. (Lack of Ability to delegate. Both skills and interests are equally important to keep the team motivated and improving.)
- I think that teams perform best when individuals keep doing the same tasks instead of learning new skills and challenging themselves. (Lack of developing people mindset)
Do remember to add on a few open-ended scenario based questions.
Here are 5 open-ended questions examples you can use:
- How will you guide your team to improve or develop their individual skills?
- When you come across any bad news then how will you put it in front of your team?
- When was the last time when you got angry at a team member? What happened? And what did you do?
- An employee is underperforming. What do you do?
- What was it like working for your manager?
You can get more questions and other candidate selection templates for free on Prehireforms. Prehireforms can also help you automatically rank your candidates in their achieved scores based on your selected job match criteria, further saving your time to identify your top candidates.
Need help or do you have more questions? Write in to Lisa, your candidate assistant at [email protected]. She’s always happy to help!