Employees in the digital age need to know how to communicate efficiently via various channels such as face-to-face communication, emails, work communication tools and video conferencing tools. This is especially important when there are more and more remote workers and today.
What is good communication skills?
Employees with good communication skills can convey and exchange thoughts, ideas and information effectively through various mediums and approaches.
– Skills Framework by SkillsFuture Singapore
You can view the full list of skills and its description here.
Knowing what to say, and how to say it at the right time can make others interested to learn more and engage in active listening,
With hundreds to thousands of applicants applying for a job, hiring managers are spending a lot of time screening each candidates with some degree of decision making based on their gut feeling to shortlist candidates, only to realise that they may not be the right fit for the role in the end.
To make the candidate screening process more efficient, hiring experts suggested asking questions tailored to test candidates based on your selection criteria right from the start of the hiring process – when the candidate clicks to apply for a position at your company. This helps companies better predict their on-the-job performance and save hiring managers’ time in screening candidates.
Here are 3 examples of scale-rating questions hiring managers can ask to test a candidates’ communication skills.
- It is ok to speak your mind immediately even though others are still speaking so that you can communicate your point across and solve the problem. (Scale 1 to 5)
- Even though I have communicate very clearly, I’m shocked that often others would struggle to understand what I’ve said. (Scale 1 to 5)
- I tend to give every detail and information to the other party when writing an email, letter, memo so that my message can be delivered successfully. (Scale 1 to 5)
You can get more questions and other candidate selection templates for free on Prehireforms. Prehireforms can also help you automatically rank your candidates in their achieved scores based on your selected job match criteria, further saving your time to identify your top candidates.
Do remember to add on a few open-ended scenario based questions.
Here are 3 open-ended questions examples you can use to test candidates’ written communication skills too:
- How would you go about simplifying a complex issue in order to explain it to a client or colleague?
- Talk about a successful presentation you gave and why you think it did well.
- Describe a time when you had to be careful talking about sensitive information. How did you do it?
Need help or do you have more questions? Write in to Lisa, your candidate assistant at [email protected]. She’s always happy to help!